Concept 18 Bacteria and viruses have DNA too.
Joshua Lederberg was a Professor Emeritus at Rockefeller University, where his research addressed DNA conformation and evolutionary acceleration.
Al Hershey spent 47 years at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Hershey was best known for his work, with Martha Chase, that showed that genes were made of DNA.
- Go to:
- Alfred Day Hershey
- How his reading of the Avery, McCarty & McLeod paper motivated him to begin research into understanding the chemical nature of the gene.
- Designing the experiments that uncovered bacterial conjugation: theory-driven versus data-driven experiments.
- Expectations on whether the Neurospora experiments would work and what results they might show.
- The Nobel moment: how he was informed that he had won the Nobel prize.
- The attributes of great scientists.